J1 Visa Application Instructions and Requirements
Original signed passport with at least 6 months of validity AND blank visa pages. In addition to the original passport, you will need a color copy of the passport’s data page and photo page if it’s separate.
- Visa Application Form (V 2013) and 2 passport size photos.
Click the Visa Application Link above, and type out the form. After you complete the form, you will need to print and sign. DO NOT AFFIX PASSPORT SIZE PHOTO TO THE APPLICATION. We will do that for you! Click here to see the photo requirements.
- Photocopy of your Driver License to show you are a resident of one of the 12 states. (Delaware, DC, Idaho, Kentucky, Maryland, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, or Wyoming). IMPORTANT: CHINESE EMBASSY NEEDS BOTH FRONT AND BACKSIDE PHOTOCOPY OF YOUR DRIVER LICENSE!
- Proof of legal stay or residence status (For Non-US passport holders).
- Photo Copy of previous Chinese Passports or Chinese Visas (Applicable to foreign citizens who were Chinese citizens and obtained foreign citizenship).If you are applying for a Chinese Visa for the first time, you should provide your previous Chinese passport held and a photocopy of its data page.If you have obtained Chinese visas before and want to apply for a Chinese visa with a renewed foreign passport that does not contain any Chinese visa, you should present the photocopy of the previous passport data page and the photo page, as well as the previous Chinese visa page. If your name on the current passport differs from the previous one, you must provide an official document of the name change.
- Visa Notification Letter issued by the Information Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in China and an official letter issued by the media organization for which the journalist works.
*Applicants should contact the press office of the Chinese Embassy/Consulate General in advance and complete relevant formalities.
- The applicant should guarantee that all information provided in the application is true and correct. Any false, misleading or incomplete information may result in denial of the visa or refusal of entry into China.
- The Visa Notification Letter and the official media letter may be in the form of fax, photocopy, or computer printout. An applicant may be required to submit an original invitation, providing other supporting documents, or schedule an interview with the consular officer.
- The consular officer will make decision on whether or not to grant a visa and allowed validity, duration of stay and number of entries based on individual application.
- A holder of category J1 visa must apply for a residence permit at the local public security authorities within 30 days of entry into China.